keyboard accents problem

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jun 15 06:49:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 15:20 -0300, Francisco André wrote:
> Hi thanks! Ie checked my configuration and I'm using language:
> portuguese brazilian and keyboard layout: us international (with dead
> keys) because my notebook was bought in USA.
>
> I don't know what to do until now. And I'm getting crazy because I need
> to redistribute in my company a customized fedora version and the users
> will complain about this problem!

If you don't mind another method of typing extra characters (than on the
keyboard legends), then you can use US International without dead keys,
and use the compose key to start writing the special ones.  On mine the
compose key is set for the right Windows key.  If I press and release
the compose key, then press and release a character key, and finally
press and release a symbol key representative of the accented character
combination that I want, it is typed.  But, otherwise, the legends
printed on the keys are typed, directly.  I find it much easier to type
words like "can't" if I have to press an extra key to use those symbols
as something other than themselves.

--
(This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.