Fedora vs OpenSuse

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 15 09:28:26 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 16:54 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:25:08 -0400
>> taharka <res00vl8 at alltel.net> wrote:
>>
>>> OpenSuse/SEL includes AppArmor, which is they're answer to SELINUX &
>>> supposedly easier to configure/administrate ;-)
>> Yea, AppArmor is really secure :-). At work someone found it
>> was refusing to let them run something (I forget which program,
>> some utterly common utility like uname or date or something).
>> They copied the executable to a different name file, and it
>> let them run the copy just fine.
> Well, is this much better than SELinux-issues preventing your Fedora
> systems to work properly?

Design bugs are always going to be harder to fix than implementation
issues. Any issues reported are fixed pretty quickly. Did you report any?

> I've never encountered a case where SELinux caught an actual security
> breach, but I've seen many cases were SELinux prevented systems from
> operating properly.

There has dozens of such instances where SELinux has prevented or
mitigated the issue. Just one example at

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-selinux-list/2006-July/msg00071.html

Rahul