Can't print with Samsung ML-1250 on Fedora 7

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 12:50:27 UTC 2007

2007/6/15, Steven P. Ulrick <lists-fedora at afolkey2.net>:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:38:04 +0100
> Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 18:26 -0500, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > > Hello, Everyone
> > > I just had an idea that maybe my printing issue was a USB issue.  I
> > > found MUCH like the following in /var/log/messages:
> > > Jun 14 18:12:22 afolkey2 kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0:
> > > USB Bidirectional printer dev 62 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid
> > > 0x300E Jun 14 18:12:52 afolkey2 kernel: usb 3-1: USB disconnect,
> > > address 62 Jun 14 18:12:52 afolkey2 kernel:
> > > drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: removed Jun 14 18:12:52 afolkey2
> > > kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
> > > address 63 Jun 14 18:12:52 afolkey2 kernel: usb 3-1: configuration
> > > #1 chosen from 1 choice Jun 14 18:12:52 afolkey2 kernel:
> > > drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 63
> > > if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x300E Jun 14 18:13:22 afolkey2
> > > kernel: usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 63 Jun 14 18:13:22
> > > afolkey2 kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: removed Jun 14
> > > 18:13:22 afolkey2 kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using
> > > uhci_hcd and address 64 Jun 14 18:13:22 afolkey2 kernel: usb 3-1:
> > > configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice Jun 14 18:13:22 afolkey2
> > > kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional
> > > printer dev 64 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x300E
> >
> > How much?  Those messages are normal when you unplug and reconnect the
> > printer, or (with some models) when you turn "off" the printer and it
> > remains powered just enough to reconnect in order to switch on again
> > when required.
> >
> > But it should not happen of its own accord..
> >
> > Do you know that the printer is functioning correctly?
> >
> > Tim.
> > */
> >
> Hello, Tim
> I have actually printed a few test pages.  The odd part about that is
> best described thusly:
> 1. Print test page.
> 2. Result: Test page does not print, though it continues to process.
> 3. Reboot, restart CUPS or switch to a runlevel where CUPS shuts down
> and restarts, and the test page prints.
>
> Unfortunately for diagnosing this, it does not work this way every
> time.  Sometimes (every time for the past few days) the job just
> continues to process, other times it just bombs out with an error.
> Check my various other messages in this thread for screenshots and more
> details.
>
> As far as the printer functioning properly at all, I do know that it
> worked perfectly right up until I installed Fedora 7.  I printed out
> FAQ's for Mailman and Gallery2 since I was going to have to restore
> them from backups.  These documents printed as expected.  But just to
> be safe, I am going to take this printer somewhere where I have access
> to a few other computers.  Some with Windows XP, others with varying
> [...]
Steven

I am running a Samsung ML-1610 at home and I have same issues
sometimes, especially when a new cup is released!!! at that point I
must to disinstall the printer and re-install again : yesterday I had
to re-install it also on the networked laptop.Someday I waste more
paper for testing pages than for standard printing....
If I had a HP, I would be happy (spent some euros more, but saved a
lot of time and stress): maybe that I will get the HP from my office
and Samsung will go to work.... :-)

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag