Can't print with Samsung ML-1250 on Fedora 7

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Fri Jun 15 13:03:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 05:57:53 -0500
"Steven P. Ulrick" <lists-fedora at afolkey2.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:38:04 +0100
> Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:
> > How much?  Those messages are normal when you unplug and reconnect
> > the printer, or (with some models) when you turn "off" the printer
> > and it remains powered just enough to reconnect in order to switch
> > on again when required.
> >
> > But it should not happen of its own accord..
> >
> > Do you know that the printer is functioning correctly?
> >
> > Tim.

Hello, Tim
I am back from my experiments.  The results were as follows:
1. On a machine running Windows XP Home Edition, the same printer that
is the subject of this thread works perfectly.  Installing the driver
and printing the test page worked without flaw.

2. On a machine running Windows XP Professional, the results were
exactly the same as with the Windows machine referred to above.

I had no luck with the Fedora install that dual-boots with XP
Professional.  Actually, the printer was not even detected at all.  But
this did not surprise me too much, since it is a Rawhide install that
had not been updated for a few weeks (we are talking the Rawhide that
preceded Fedora 7)

When I have some time (unless we get this fixed before then) I plan on
installing Fedora Core 6 on that machine and seeing if the printer works
a perfectly as it always did for me on Fedora Core 6.  I will then do a
fresh install (I don't do upgrades) of Fedora 7 and see how this
situation turns out there.

So, to sum up, before I left home this morning to try this printer with
the two above mentioned Windows XP machines, the printer did not work
on Fedora 7.  Took it to where the two XP machines are, installed on
both of them, and it worked perfectly.  Brought it back home, hooked it
back up to our Fedora 7 machine, and it doesn't work.

This is one of those EXTREMELY RARE(1) situations where I almost wish I
had my system set up to dual boot with Windows XP...  Then I could
probably rule out the possibility of there being any issues with our
system.  But, our home is an Microsoft free zone, and we are happy with
it that way...

Steven P. Ulrick

Definition of (1): "EXTREMELY RARE" in this case means that this is the
only time since ceasing to use MS products that I wished that I had one
to run on this system...

--
 07:49:11 up  9:42,  2 users,  load average: 0.80, 0.68, 0.64