End user tool for DVD creation

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Jun 15 15:37:25 UTC 2007

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:43:48 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Two part problem here.
>>
>> Part one - seven or more users running FC6 as desktop (happily). They
>> have assorted short clips on installing parts, many shot on digital
>> cameras, webcams, etc, in avi, wmv and mpg format. They need to turn
>> these into DVDs to give to technicians.
>>
>> Part two - these are **end users** just nicely weaned off that other
>> O/S, solutions which include "create an XML file" are not appropriate.
>> They need a tool to click on a clip, type in a one line title, and
>> repeat, then click "burn" and get a result. Creation of 2nd level menus
>> are useful but not required, some title at the top of the menu ditto,
>> creation of SVCD or DivX on CD is nice (these are about 50MB in most
>> cases). Simple is a total requirement, so lots of training is
>> undesirable (not to mention we have no trainer who has a tool they use
>> in Linux).
>>
>> Any suggestions? Open Source is desirable from a political (not
>> financial) standpoint.
>>
>> --
>> bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>>   CTO TMR Associates, Inc
>>   Doing interesting things with small computers since 1979
>

> You need two tools:
>
> dvdauthor (Fedora): create vobs from mpeg files.
> dvdstyler (Livna): GUI to create menus.

Also look at qdvdauthor and dvd-slideshow.

I have just been playing with dvd-slideshow to make a video slideshow of
a large group of pictures.

Note, the dvd-slideshow that comes with qdvdauther won't work properly.
  I need to submit a bug report on this.

Much of the command line stuff could be written in a script once you
have a working procedure.  Put the files in the correct directory and
run the script(s).

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.