Skype

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Jun 16 01:05:18 UTC 2007

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 17:55:00 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> I enjoy using Skype so I got one from their web page they say is a Beta
>> Version. When I rpm the package it came up with 5 bad dependents. So I
>> used yum install and one after the other I loaded the needed software.
>> Slowly the list got smaller and then it worked.
>>
>>     I brought it up and it looks odd but it works and I see the guys I
>> talk with. But I checked the system and like last time, I have good
>> listening audio but the Mike is dead!
>>

> What do you mean you see the guys you're talking to? You mean skype can
> do video streaming? Or you just see their names in your buddy list?
>
> Open volume control and check the microphone levels. Can you use the
> microphone for anything else? Like audacity?
>

>>     Without a doubt the software to adjust the sound card audio has gone
>> way downhill since FC4.
>>

> I somehow doubt it's F7, because I was able to use my microphone without
> a problem. Haven't tried skype under F7 though.

    Hi Gang,

    Well! I went looking on FC6 and I found at System->Preferences near
the bottom Volume Control. I clicked and it came up and sure enough
under Capture the setting was x'ed out with a red X. I clicked on them
and they went away. I moved the Microphone lever way up and then killed
the Volume control.

    I tried skype and still no mike output!!!

    Really mad I brought up Volume Control and under Capture the DARN
red X's were still there!!!! I erased them again and clicked on Help and
it was there but no help on my problem. So I just started futzing with
things, then quit, then bring up and on about the 6th cycle the Red X's
were GONE from the Microphone!

    I started Skype and called the Test number and to my surprise my
recorded words were played back. I did 3 tests and all three worked. I
called a couple of friends but they didn't answer.

    Now I know what to do. No Mike, remove the Red X's about 5 times and
maybe it will work again.

Karl Larsen