Error when compiling with g++ in Fedora Core 7

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 16 02:45:18 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----

From: Aquil H. Abdullah <aquil.abdullah at gmail.com>

To: fedora-list at redhat.com

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 9:14:50 PM

Subject: Error when compiling with g++ in Fedora Core 7

Hello All,

  I have just installed Fedora Core 7 on an x86 system.  It was the smoothest install of any Fedora Core that I have attempted.  However, I am having a problem using the gnu compiler in particular with g++.  I have written a simple hello world program:

#include <iostream>

int main(void)

{

  std::cout <<"Hello, World!" << std::endl;

  return 0;

}

and attempted to compile it using the command:

[aha at boombata  devel]$ g++ -o hello hello.cc

hello.cc:1:20: error: iostream: No such file or directory

hello.cc: In function 'int main()':

hello.cc:5: error: 'cout' is not a member of 'std'

hello.cc:5: error: 'endl' is not a member of 'std'

As you can see for some reason iostream.h is not being found, even though I have confirmed it's existence:

[aha at boombata backward]$ ls /usr/include/c++/4.1.2/backward/iostream.h

/usr/include/c++/4.1.2/backward/iostream.h

Now I may be in the wrong place for such a question, but does anyone have any about how to fix this problem. I am embarrassed to call myself a developer :(

Regards

--

Aquil H. Abdullah

aquil.abdullah at gmail.com --

fedora-list at redhat.com

Aquil,

You are missing something.  I tried your simple hello program using both c++ and g++ and it worked for me.

[olivares at localhost Documents]$ c++ -o hello hello.cpp
[olivares at localhost Documents]$ ./hello
Hello, World!
[olivares at localhost Documents]$ g++ -o hello2 hello2.c
[olivares at localhost Documents]$ ./hello2
Hello, World!
[olivares at localhost Documents]$ cat hello.cpp
#include <iostream>

int main(void)
{
  std::cout <<"Hello, World!" << std::endl;
  return 0;
}
[olivares at localhost Documents]$ cat hello2.c
#include <iostream>

int main(void)
{
  std::cout <<"Hello, World!" << std::endl;
  return 0;
}
[olivares at localhost Documents]$

Save the file as hello.c only or *.cpp and try it again.

Regards,

Antonio