Skype

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Jun 16 12:26:17 UTC 2007

Rogue wrote:

> Karl Larsen wrote:

>>> What do you mean you see the guys you're talking to? You mean skype
>>> can do video streaming? Or you just see their names in your buddy list?
>>>
>>> Open volume control and check the microphone levels. Can you use the
>>> microphone for anything else? Like audacity?

>>> I somehow doubt it's F7, because I was able to use my microphone
>>> without a problem. Haven't tried skype under F7 though.
>>>

>>    Hi Gang,
>>
>>    Well! I went looking on FC6 and I found at System->Preferences
>> near the bottom Volume Control. I clicked and it came up and sure
>> enough under Capture the setting was x'ed out with a red X. I clicked
>> on them and they went away. I moved the Microphone lever way up and
>> then killed the Volume control.
>>
>>    I tried skype and still no mike output!!!
>>
>>    Really mad I brought up Volume Control and under Capture the DARN
>> red X's were still there!!!! I erased them again and clicked on Help
>> and it was there but no help on my problem. So I just started futzing
>> with things, then quit, then bring up and on about the 6th cycle the
>> Red X's were GONE from the Microphone!
>>
>>    I started Skype and called the Test number and to my surprise my
>> recorded words were played back. I did 3 tests and all three worked.
>> I called a couple of friends but they didn't answer.
>>
>>    Now I know what to do. No Mike, remove the Red X's about 5 times
>> and maybe it will work again.
>>
>> Karl Larsen
>>
> Hi Karl,
>
> I am able to use Skype on F7. There are a few issues with Skype.
> Firstly, if you make changes to the audio system when skype is
> running, it does not seem to pick up the changes. So, quit skype
> before making any changes via the volume control applet.

    Yes that is correct! I was changing the volume and listening to
skype test and no changes. You change volume then start Skype.

> Second, I would suggest that you download and install audacity
> (available via yum => yum install audacity). Audacity should show up
> under Applications -> Sound & Video ... Once you have started this
> software, ensure that the correct input device is selected, now try
> recording some voice and see if the mic is working. If this works,
> then in most probability Skype should also work. So startup skype and
> give it a shot.

    I'm using Skype Test to do the recording so I was sure pleased when
it worked and I could hear my recorded voice.

> If you still see issues, that is you are unable to hear your own voice
> on the test call, then you might want to tinker around with Skype's
> audio settings.
>
> I do clearly remember that Skype did cause me quite a few problems on
> FC6, but somehow, things look much better on F7.

    Well I did play with the terminal Alsa presentation and that turned
me off. I had one terminal open to man alsa and the other with the alsa
showing. It got really stupid...my fault.

    I like the GUI Alsa Volume on FC6 but I wish it would keep the
settings I have changed. On FC4 the thing asked if you wanted to save
it. Smart.

Karl