Error: Missing Dependency: xine-lib = 1.1.7 is needed by package xine-lib-extras-nonfree

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 21:43:14 UTC 2007

On 16/06/07, David Boles wrote:

> >> The only way to actually find those before they are released would be to
> >> run them on every conceivable computer with all the hardware ever sold.
> >>

> > We talk about "broken dependencies" as in "broken RPM package
> > dependencies", not about bugs in the software.
>
> Ok. Which of those broken dependencies listed in the report directly
> affects you?

That doesn't matter at all. Just because the list contains packages,
which you don't use, does not imply that no other users use any of
these packages.

> Did you file a bug report about it?

Package maintainers receive the broken deps reports by private mail.
That is sufficient, since very often packages only need a rebuild and
no modifications. Using automated bugzilla ticket submissions would be
a more aggressive form.