Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Sat Jun 16 21:44:16 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 08:55 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:

>>> Gee I have the opposite opinion. You mean you are against Red Hat
>>> increasing its income by having their software supplied by companies
>>> like Dell?
>>> --
>>>

>> Aaron:  What are you talking about?
>> Tom
>>

> I guess the question relates to what is the original poster is talking
> about. I assumed he was talking about the availability of machines with
> a MS OS and a Linux OS. Currently it is Suse people are mentioning that
> will be supplied as a companion to a MS operating system. If that
> happens I assume money must be transferred to Suse by the Hardware
> manufacturers. Why not some money to Red Hat?
>
> If there is some other kind of agreement that is being talked about then
> I don't know what exactly the OP is referring to.
>
> --
> If money can't buy happiness, I guess you'll just have to rent it.
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net

http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=20061218045851480
This is groklaw's rundown on MS-Novell.  Xandros and Linspire are in
similar straits.  Some think what MS is doing with universities, is
being translated to the OSS community, now.  The idea, I suppose is
going to distill down to principles.  Do we want to contribute to a
community, either as users, or coders, that does "business" with MS, or
what?  I really liked the post that defends MS, by attempting to
associate them as being just like IBM, good people, and contributing
significantly through such acts as providing tools for research.  The
students get real excited when they get a nice laptop to keep when
they're done, the university gets to share in the IP license, and MS
controls how that research is monetized.  What do you think?  Nice way
to see FOSS move down the road?
Tom