Error: Missing Dependency: xine-lib = 1.1.7 is needed by package xine-lib-extras-nonfree

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 22:10:39 UTC 2007

on 6/16/2007 2:41 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On 16/06/07, David Boles wrote:
>
>>> xine-lib 1.1.7 in Fedora was released today, only a few hours ago:
>>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-June/msg00325.html
>>>
>>> On the contrary, xine-lib-extras-nonfree 1.1.7 was released yesterday already:
>>> http://livna.org/pipermail/freeworld/2007-June/001586.html
>>>
>> Your second package, xine-lib-extras-nonfree 1.1.7 from Livna, caused
>> your dependancy problem not the package from Fedora. Fedora has nothing
>> to do with or any control over the package from Livna because the
>> package from Livna,
>>

> Return to my original reply. ;-)
>
> Yes, Livna's premature release of the xine-lib-extras-nonfree upgrade
> had broken the dependencies first while Fedora's corresponding
> xine-lib upgrade was still sitting in Updates-Testing.
>
> An accident in coordinating the release time for *both* updates.
>
> The package maintainers behind the xine-lib* packages are not stupid.
> Think twice! It's just that coordinating updates in the new merged
> Core+Extras universe requires adaptations. An early message in this
> thread suggested filing a bug report at Livna. And that's where I
> disagreed in this particular case, because Fedora's package was just
> waiting for release.

Really. So Updates-Testing is not for users to try and confirm that this
update is ok to use? That is what I thought it was.

I have an very simple idea that will solve your dependency problem here.
Maybe once and for all. Enable the Update-Testing repo in your yum repo
configurations. That way the next time that Fedora screws you by
withholding their free software from you you can beat the game by
getting it while they are still not sure that it works.  ;-)

That was said as humor - but you had the solution at hand the whole time
that you have been complaining about it. Think about that.

--

  David