Could not play DVD movie on Fedoar 7

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Jun 17 02:08:07 UTC 2007

frank wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to play a DVD movie on Fedora 7. It complains that Totem is
> missing some plugins and ask to install the plugins. It does not
> mention what plugins. What should I do to fix this problem?
DVD playback requires an MPEG2 decoder. MPEG2 decoders are under patent
protection, and can't be freely {open source} licensed, hence they
aren't included in Fedora:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia/DVD

That said, software repositories like freshrpms.net rpmforge livna
atrpms may carry packages that help with DVD playback.

DaveT.