Portsentry & apcupsd & Fedora 7

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jun 17 09:01:47 UTC 2007

On Sunday 17 June 2007, Rick Bilonick wrote:
>> Rick, post the 50 errors.  Even if no one has tried to compile
>> portsentry, the errors might indicate the nature of the problem.
>>
>> No input,...no (or very little) helpful output.
>>

>> --
>> --R
>> /Linux, and Open Software, an alternative./
>> Registered Unix <http://counter.li.org> user #409453
>
>It wasn't quite 50 errors but here is the output:
>
>]# ls
>CHANGES     portsentry.c         portsentry_io.c     README.COMPAT
>CREDITS     portsentry.conf      portsentry_io.h     README.install
>ignore.csh  portsentry_config.h  portsentry_tcpip.h  README.methods
>LICENSE     portsentry.h         portsentry_util.c   README.stealth
>Makefile    portsentry.ignore    portsentry_util.h
>[root at bilonick portsentry_beta]# make linux
>SYSTYPE=linux
>Making
>cc -O -Wall -DLINUX -DSUPPORT_STEALTH -o ./portsentry ./portsentry.c \
>                ./portsentry_io.c ./portsentry_util.c
>./portsentry.c: In function ‘PortSentryModeTCP’:
>./portsentry.c:1187: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of
>‘accept’ differ in signedness
>./portsentry.c: In function ‘PortSentryModeUDP’:
>./portsentry.c:1384: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 6 of
>‘recvfrom’ differ in signedness
>./portsentry.c: In function ‘Usage’:
>./portsentry.c:1584: error: missing terminating " character
>./portsentry.c:1585: error: ‘sourceforget’ undeclared (first use in this
>function)
>./portsentry.c:1585: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
>once
>./portsentry.c:1585: error: for each function it appears in.)
>./portsentry.c:1585: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘dot’
>./portsentry.c:1585: error: stray ‘\’ in program
>./portsentry.c:1585: error: missing terminating " character
>./portsentry.c:1595: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
>make: *** [linux] Error 1

As an old portsentry fan I had to go take a look at it again, and I found that
file's line 1585 to have been mangled by a line wrapper function in
somebodies editor.  Pull the next line up to make a long line out of it, and
for completeness, delete the final t in "sourceforget".  No idea where that
came from.  Then see if it will build.

And now I'm wondering if the whole archive file hasn't been compromised, I
just found another reference to sourceforget.net in the README.install.
There is such a site, but it has no connection to portsentry.

For that reason, I added craigrowland at users dot sourceforge dot net to the
To: list above.  Maybe he can refresh that file on sourceforge and restore
our paranoia.  However, I note that the bugtracker has an entry, unresolved,
dated in October of 2003, the year it was moved to sourceforge.

I liked portsentry.  Between that, iptables and tcpwrappers, nothing got past
an old rh7.3 box I used for a firewall for 5 or 6 years.  The logs said many
thousands tried though.  But even that was cut back by 99.9% when I got dsl,
found roaring penguins PPPoE was crap and bought a linksys BEFSR41 router.
It then stopped the huge majority of that crap.  Now I'm using dd-wrt on
another old box to replace both of those boxes, and its just as bulletproof &
uses 300 watts less power...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)