LVM or FS:EXT3?

John bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Sun Jun 17 10:44:52 UTC 2007

On Sunday 17 June 2007 11:17:04 Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 22:10 +0100, John bowden wrote:
> > I'm just about to install F7 onto one of my machines. I have FC6
> > installed and happy on one of my boxes and Mandriva on another. I'm
> > more used to managing FS:EXT3 or EXT2 partitions than FC6's LVM. If I
> > set up the new box with FS:EXT3 at the partition stage will F7 have
> > any problems? I have a 40Gb chunk of IDE and a 250Gb of SATA to play
> > with.
>
> I ignored LVM and went for the traditional EXT3 partitions with FC7.
> Didn't have any problems with that.  I've, previously, had plenty of
> problems with LVM, and I need to be able to *EASILY* put drives in and
> out of different boxes, in different combinations, so I don't like LVM.
>
> --
> (This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case
> that's important to the thread.)

I do a lot of drive swapping, got a number of machines on my network to play
with and always getting hold of second hand drives to play around with. I'm
happy with FS:EXT3 and haven't found the time to get to know LVM. Just about
to boot up now - finger crossed.

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of parliment
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)