Portsentry & apcupsd & Fedora 7

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sun Jun 17 13:22:12 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 05:01 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I liked portsentry.  Between that, iptables and tcpwrappers, nothing got past
> an old rh7.3 box I used for a firewall for 5 or 6 years.  The logs said many
> thousands tried though.  But even that was cut back by 99.9% when I got dsl,
> found roaring penguins PPPoE was crap and bought a linksys BEFSR41 router.
> It then stopped the huge majority of that crap.  Now I'm using dd-wrt on
> another old box to replace both of those boxes, and its just as bulletproof &
> uses 300 watts less power...

I too used to use portsentry when I was using my linux server as a
router/firewall as well as it's other duties.  But like you, I found the
linksys routers and started using those and have since.

But what are you referring to with the dd-wrt?  Open source program to
replace the linksys program in the router (I have read briefly on this
in the past)?  Something else?  (some reason, I feel like an idiot right
now hehe)

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY