Question on yum remove

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 17 13:57:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 23:22 +0100, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 11:11pm on Saturday, June 16, 2007 (UK time), Timothy Murphy scrawled:
>
> > Why does "yum remove foo" try to remove every package
> > using anything required by foo?
> > Surely the rational strategy would be to leave anything
> > required by another package?
>
> No.  You asked it to remove foo.  It is rational that it does as you
> requested.  It would be irrational to:
>  - not do as you asked, or
>  - leave behind broken packages because it removed foo
>
> Steve
What you say makes sense. What is annoying though is the following.
First you yum install foo and get some of its dependencies are
installed.
Second you do a yum remove foo and these same dependencies are not
removed.
The game of life is a game of boomerangs. Our thoughts, deeds and words
return to us sooner or later with astounding accuracy.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net