CPU 100%

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 17 19:38:42 UTC 2007

Hi,

> In fact the problem seems related to compiz. If i disable desktop
> effects. The computer is usable all the time with compiling.

I have had exactly the same problems - The fact is compiz is not fully mature
and these sorts of things can occur.

The problem, is compiz/X requires considerably more cpu than a simple X
session, and when your cpu is overloaded with other things it can start to
impact on your interactive X performance, as you have seen.

There are a few things you can try.

A simple thing is to also start any process which is likely to be cpu
intensive at a high nice value, higher than 0 the default for interactive
processes. i.e if you normally run

> foo

instead try

> nice -n 10 foo

which instead will run foo at a nice value of 10.  0 is the highest priority a
user (other than root) can give a process, and has the highest priority. 19
is the lowest priority (or most 'nice')

Alternatively, you could try playing with schedtool to give X more priority
than it normally has. Be careful though not to give it too much priority,
since it you do your system can really suffer.