Can't activate wlan0 in F7

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 22:52:18 UTC 2007

On 17/06/07, Joe Jerome <jjerome1 at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> Help!  We are trying to activate wlan0 on my son's laptop without
> success.  We installed F7 from the KDE LiveCD.  Opening the Network
> Device Control shows wlan0 inactive.  When trying to activate it, we
> get:
>
>   Cannot activate network device wlan0!
>
>   Device wlan0 does not seem to be present,
>   delaying installation.
>
> Doing a 'dmesg | grep iwl3945' gives:
>
> iwl3945: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG Network Connection driver
> for Linux, 0.0.21kd
[snip]
> I have not tried to configure or use wireless hardware before.
> Not sure what else to try or check.  Suggestions?

Couple of things jump out at me - on a laptop you'd be better off
using the NetworkManager functionality rather than manually enabling
and disabling the device - you should be able to select your desired
wireless AP from the applet in the taskbar.

Also, iwl3945 is a buggy piece of crap currently, I have no idea why
it's even included in the F7 kernel - really, even if you had it
working it would crap out on you every 10 mins or so.

I'd advise installing the ipw3945 driver from freshrpms
(dkms-ipw3945). iwl3945 is a development driver, whereas ipw3945 is
the previous incarnation of the driver with a binary only daemon which
meant it couldn't be packaged in Fedora.