kopete and skype sound

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 17 23:15:07 UTC 2007

Does kopete do sound streaming? Oddly enough, I can do video streaming,
but no sound, and I don't see a place to configure the sound devices
either (as e.g. in skype). I know for video I had to have jasper, do I
need some plugin for sound too?

Incidentally, like others on this list I was having problems with
configuring the microphone in skype (I could hear the incoming sound, but
they could not hear me). What I did was to open volume control (in gnome,
but I imagine it would be similar in kde) -> edit -> preferences, then
check just about every capture item (e.g. line-in capture, microphone
capture, etc.) although I believe the microphone capture is really the
important one. Then, under the Playback panel, the microphone slider must
be on. Under the Recording tab, the capture slider must be on. Under the
Switches tab, I had to have Microphone Capture (and Mic Boost) checked,
and under Options, the appropriate microphone must be selected (I can
choose between Mic1 and Mic2; when the correct one is selected, you can
hear your own voice into the speakers, when talking into the microphone).

Now if skype could do video streaming...

Some suggested (and others agreed) that alsa is a big mess, but I just
don't see why. It begins to make sense when you read the documentation -
at least the FAQ. Just poke around in /proc/asound. And even if you don't
know anything about the internals of alsa (like me), all it takes is to
fiddle a little bit with volume control to turn on the appropriate
capture devices.