Rdate giving informational message

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Jun 18 11:52:33 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:
> I have a little script I use from time to time
>
> # cat bin/settime
> /usr/bin/rdate -s time.nist.gov
> /sbin/hwclock --adjust
> /sbin/hwclock --systohc
>
> When I run it I get a message...
>
> # settime
> /root/bin/settime: line 1:  5435 Alarm clock             /usr/bin/rdate
> -s time.nist.gov
>
> I can't seem to find what that message about "Alarm clock"
> means. Would someone please explain what it means? I suppose
> sth about system date/time changing, hence warning that
> alarms may be disturbed.

I guess it'll be because that process got an unhandled SIGALRM

''Computer programs often use SIGALRM to make a long-running action time
out, or to provide a way of performing an action at regular intervals.

SIGALRM is generally raised a whole number of seconds after an alarm
system call is made. It is sometimes used to implement the sleep function.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGALRM

Dunno why though.

-Andy