tons of spam

Randy Vice damocles at thenostromo.com
Mon Jun 18 14:29:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 09:09 -0400, Randy Vice wrote:

>>> I'm not sure about "no good reason".  Somebody signs up for a mailing list
>>> with their "normal" email address and it gets harvested and they get more
>>> spam and then say the distribution is flawed based on that.....well it just
>>> gets my goat.  The induhvidual blames everyone except themselves.
>>>
>>> Let's not get into a tit for tat on "behavior" shall we.  I can surely point
>>> out times where others "behavior" went over my line....or is it over your
>>> line....or is it over some imaginary line....
>>>
>>> The simple point I suppose I should have made is...you put your email
>>> address on a public list and you expose yourself to spam.  Should the email
>>> list be responsible to protect you from your folly?  I think not.
>>
>> It would nice if Fedora was to setup spam filters when someone selects
>> a SMTP to be installed.  Sort of like how IPtables is setup to be
>> installed and running at boot.
>>
>> Randy
> How about pointing out that Linux has spam fighting programs that can be
> used?

That would be the preconfigured spam filters that would be installed when
someone selects a SMTP to be installed.  I'm more of a end user and the
last time I attempted to configure sendmail to use a filter, I broke it.
It maybe a simple process for those who are system admins, for some of us,
it can be complicated vs just deleting tons of spam daily.

Randy

--
: damocles at TheNostromo.com : Bruce Morrow, a man before and after his time :
: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood  :