Rdate giving informational message

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 18 16:08:35 UTC 2007

Andy Green wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>I have a little script I use from time to time
>>
>># cat bin/settime
>>/usr/bin/rdate -s time.nist.gov
>>/sbin/hwclock --adjust
>>/sbin/hwclock --systohc
>>
>>When I run it I get a message...
>>
>># settime
>>/root/bin/settime: line 1:  5435 Alarm clock             /usr/bin/rdate
>>-s time.nist.gov
>>
>>I can't seem to find what that message about "Alarm clock"
>>means. Would someone please explain what it means? I suppose
>>sth about system date/time changing, hence warning that
>>alarms may be disturbed.
>

> I guess it'll be because that process got an unhandled SIGALRM

That would be a programming error, then.

> SIGALRM is generally raised a whole number of seconds after an alarm
> system call is made. It is sometimes used to implement the sleep function.''

I've used alarm() and SIGALRM, thanks.

$ cat infinite.c
int     main(void) {
     while (1)
         ;
     return 0;
}

$ gcc -o infinite infinite.c
$ ./infinite &
[1] 6308
$ kill -SIGALRM 6308
$ ps
   PID TTY          TIME CMD
  5396 pts/1    00:00:00 bash
  6309 pts/1    00:00:00 ps
[1]+  Alarm clock             ./infinite

Your guess looks good, as that looks like the message.
Now, why is rdate receiving an unhandled signal?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.