Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

Robert Cates robert at kormar.de
Mon Jun 18 23:08:45 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 08:55 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:

>>> Gee I have the opposite opinion. You mean you are against Red Hat
>>> increasing its income by having their software supplied by companies
>>> like Dell?
>>> --
>>>

>> Aaron:  What are you talking about?
>> Tom
>>

> I guess the question relates to what is the original poster is talking
> about. I assumed he was talking about the availability of machines with
> a MS OS and a Linux OS. Currently it is Suse people are mentioning that
> will be supplied as a companion to a MS operating system. If that
> happens I assume money must be transferred to Suse by the Hardware
> manufacturers. Why not some money to Red Hat?
>
> If there is some other kind of agreement that is being talked about then
> I don't know what exactly the OP is referring to.
>
> --
> If money can't buy happiness, I guess you'll just have to rent it.
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net

I don't believe what I'm hearing/reading here!  You mean there's Linux
fans out there that don't even know what the Open Source/Free Software
movement was/is all about?  Do you think Novell/SuSE's or whomever's
real interest is to get more users out there familiar with their distro,
so they (and any other followers) cut a deal with MS to allow their
Linux flavor integrate better with Windows?  For some time now I've been
seeing more and more people/companies use the FREE work of many many
people to try to reach that big (multi-)billion dollar pie-in-the-sky,
and I just think that's immoral, and now to try to latch on to MS for a
free ride (oops, did I say free?).

Don't get me wrong, I've paid good money for many versions of Linux from
many vendors, including SuSE and RedHat, but that's because I felt the
money went to paying them for the work involved in making their distro
usable (or user friendly), something that I couldn't do myself, until
now, and I was very interested technically in Linux.

Also, for all of us who are interested enough in an alternate OS, we can
get it easily enough through various means, and manage to get it running
on our machines with (or without) the giant.  We don't need a deal cut
with MS, and for anybody that might, well, Linux is a high-tech OS (much
more high-tech and advanced than other OSes) and really was not meant to
be overly simplified for the young school kid or his/her grandparents.

So in my opinion, I see these major distro companies heading in the
wrong direction (and for the wrong reasons), and I'm wanting less and
less to do with them.  I might as well go back to MS Windows.  Instead
of one monopoly, we're going to have half-a-dozen, or more.