Any progress on installing FC7 on a SATA system?

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Tue Jun 19 08:13:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 19:29 -0700, Etanisla Lopez-Ortiz wrote:
> What I have:
> home-brew with 1 SATA hard drive and 1 SATA optical drive
>
> What I don't have:
> FC7 installed
> (even after trying "linux askmethod all-ide-generic nodmraid")
>
> It is my (flawed) understanding that the sata driver that FC7 uses on
> install doesn't play nice with systems with multiple SATA devices, or on
> systems with SATA/PATA devices. The last I read, was to install FC7 off
> a large (4G+) usb drive, a network install, an iso mounted on a FAT32
> partition, or onto the hard drive while connected to another computer
> and then placing the drive back in the original computer and praying it
> all works well.
>
> None of those options are available to me. Google keeps pointing me back
> to the same Fedora Forum posts of which I have already summarized above.
>
> Should I stick with my working FC6, or are there possibilities I haven't
> run across yet?

Hi
At what stage does it fall over ?

I had to do this on one of my machines !
Big problem with F7 install on Asus A7V600-X motherboard
Sata drives cause booting to stop just after loading vmlinuz and initrd
the machine freezes with the following message !
Ready
Solution 1 - Not Nice
There is a way to install Fedora 7 on ASUS-A7V600(-X) (maybe other) boards with
any sata drives connected. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Unplug any sata drives. When the kernel is loading, plug in (hotplug) the drive.
Then everything is working. ;o)

Solution 2
OKAY : found I very cute work around :
booting usb stick after dd the diskboot file !
This makes no sense to me !!!!!!
but it works and the fun may begin right now
_________________________
LarryT, GParted-livecd maintainer
Main site : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
#########################
Therefore
mount -o loop F-7-i386-DVD.iso /mnt/zip
cd /mnt/zip/images
dd if=diskboot.img of=/dev/sdxxxx

On my machine I had to
Select USB Zip on Asus board!!
Boot up past the problem and then insert the DVD
It Works!!!!

john