tons of spam

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 14:28:59 UTC 2007

From: "Randy Vice" <damocles at thenostromo.com>

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Aaron Konstam wrote:

>>> It would nice if Fedora was to setup spam filters when someone selects
>>> a SMTP to be installed.  Sort of like how IPtables is setup to be
>>> installed and running at boot.
>>>
>>> Randy
>> How about pointing out that Linux has spam fighting programs that can be
>> used?
>
> That would be the preconfigured spam filters that would be installed when
> someone selects a SMTP to be installed.  I'm more of a end user and the
> last time I attempted to configure sendmail to use a filter, I broke it.
> It maybe a simple process for those who are system admins, for some of us,
> it can be complicated vs just deleting tons of spam daily.

I may have some "sharp words" about the spam fighting tools that come with
FC7. I have little time to play with it. And it does not like my laptop.
So I have to download a bunch of debug files so I can track it down. (The
bug is in X-Windows so the gnome based folks want me to download and
install an unknown number of gnome debug files. Go figure. When I have
time I will humor them. But it's hard as heck to debug a frozen machine
that has kicked the display out the window, metaphorically speaking. The
SpamAssassin RPMS that came with FC4 and FC5 seemed to be incomplete when
I attempted to use them in the past. And for an effective SpamAssassin
install SOME mention of the Spam Assassin Rules Emporium is properly
required, as is mention of FuzzyOCR and a couple other gems.

(SARE is so effective it was included in the massive DDoS attack that
struck Spamhaus as well. Some spammer got REALLY peaved, po' baby.)

{^_-}   <- Yes, Joanne is VERY opinionated.