Caution to FC6 users

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 19 16:48:48 UTC 2007

> Hi Nigel, I put libdvdcss in Google and found a place having it in red
> Hat made RPM format. I installed the rpm with no complaints but it has
> not fixed Totem yet. I may need to reboot.

Not exactly the bet way to make sure you have a compatible rpm. Why not just
use yum - if you find it there you know it is suppose to work...

# yum search libdvdcss

will show you whats available (I won't say where, but you know ;))

therefore

#yum install libdvdcss

is all you need

while you are at it, I would recommend a 'yum search dvd' to see if there are
any other interesting package you could get.. Similarly a yum search for
terms like 'nonfree' 'extra' 'ugly' will bring up various packages you might
consider installing (if legal for you ;))

I also agree with the last poster in that totem is probably the worst video
player you could try - It never really works for me (Then, I use KDE so would
prefer a KDE based player anyway). I recommend any mplayer based player (yum
search mplayer) such as mplayer, kplayer or kmplayer. My personal favourite
is kaffeine.

Finally, take a look here for the win32 codecs for mplayer that where also
mentioned.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

Download the tar file and dump the libraries into /usr/lib/win32

Chris