Totem on FC6

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Jun 19 17:23:28 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 19 June 2007 17:13, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Christian Menzel wrote:
> > Karl,
> >
> > I have not found a single file totem was able to play, so remove it
> > and use vlc.
> >
> > Chris
>
>     Where do I find vlc?
>
> Karl

freshrpms
http://zod.freshrpms.net      (for FC6)

livna
http://rpm.livna.org

Info on the sites for adding the repo's to your yum sources list, and
downloading the gpg keys.

I'm using Apt, so the URL's for my /etc/apt/sources.list will be no use to
you.

btw. I've just installed vlc on Debian, which is next door to the machine
running FC2, and "The Full Monty" dvd has played just like magic. I don't
know if it's encrypted, and do have libdvdcss2 installed, but as I say, It's
just playing now, and seems even easier than Mplayer.

Bear in mind that I have Mplayer, w32codecs, xine, and ogle, plus a lot of
deps for those 2 installed on this machine, and ffmpeg.

On FC2, Mplayer plays dvd's ok, once I'd found out how to access the dvd.
Xine , and Ogle took some time (a bit of configuring was needed). I still
havn't got Xine, or Ogle playing dvd's yet on Debian Lenny. The license comes
up, and they both then crash, but have to say I'm quite impressed with vlc.
it seems to work out of the box.

2¢ worth of observations.

Nigel.