Where does chkconfig store its settings?

Jay Goodman fedora-list at goody.homelinux.net
Tue Jun 19 19:12:26 UTC 2007

It doesn't.  To see if a service is "on" or "off", it checks for the
existence of the symlinks in the /etc/rcN.d directories

When you issue the command "chkconfig sendmail on",
chckconfig looks for the "chkconfig:" line in the actual /etc/init.d/

In the sendmail case (i'm looking at RHEL3 at the moment) the chkconfig:
line in /etc/init.d/sendmail  reads

chkconfig: 2345 80 30

issuing the command "chkconfig sendmail on" will create symlinks
/etc/rd1.d/K30sendmail
/etc/rd2.d/S80sendmail
/etc/rd3.d/S80sendmail
/etc/rd4.d/S80sendmail
/etc/rd5.d/S80sendmail
/etc/rd6.d/K30sendmail

issuing the command "chkconfig --list sendmail" checks for the existence
of the start and kill links in the various runlevels (/etc/rcN.d/) to
output its startup configuration