Where does chkconfig store its settings?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Jun 19 19:47:58 UTC 2007

Eric <spamsink at scoot.netis.com> wrote:

> Where do chkconfig and system-config-services store their settings?
>
> I checked the man pages and Google and no luck, then tried making a change
> to chkconfig and running "find / -mmin 10", and nothing obvious showed up.
There isn't a separate copy.  Settings from chkconfig and
system-config-services are implemented as links from /etc/rc.d/rcX.d (0
<= X <= 6) to the actual control scripts in /etc/init.d.  You turn on a
service in a particular run level and a "S" (S for start) link gets
created from the rcX.d directory for that run level to the script in
/etc/init.d.  When you turn off a service the "S" link gets removed.
When you change run levels (e.g., level 2 to level 3) the stop scripts
for anything that isn't supposed to run in level 3 get executed and then
start scripts for the new things that define level 3 get executed.  The
scripts are executed in collation order by name so all of the links in
each rcX.d directory are of the form Snn<serviceName> or
Knn<serviceName> with services to be started (or stopped) sooner having
a lower number.

Services that run through xinetd.d don't get the fine-grained control
since xinetd is either on or off for a particular run level and services
that run through it (e.g., amanda client, telnet server, etc.) are
either disabled or enabled.  You either get all of the enabled xinetd
services in a particular run level or none of them.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce