Running X in runlevel 3

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Tue Jun 19 21:49:20 UTC 2007

Eric wrote:

> If the system boots up in runlevel 3, it goes into text (command line)
> mode; if runlevel 5, it goes into graphics (X) mode.
>
> Now, I can start up the system in runlevel 3 (by editing /etc/inittab)
> and then start X with "startx".  That's usually what I do, since much of
> what I do is in text mode so there's sometimes not necessarily much
> point in starting X unless I need it.
>
> Is there any significance to the fact that X is still running in
> runlevel 3?  I know there may be some services that get started in
> runlevel 5 but not in runlevel 3.  Are there any services that may not
> get started up in runlevel 3 that I should make sure are running if I'm
> going to run X?
>
> Is there any particular benefit to starting X by saying "init 5" rather
> than "startx" from runlevel 3?  (Although, I can only do that as the
> superuser...)

chkconfig --list | grep 3:on
chkconfig --list | grep 5:on

On my box, these commands give the same output, so there are no extra
services started at runlevel 5.

I always start the box in runlevel 3 and use startx. So far, no
problems. Of course, I don't get the shiny display manager screen.

Regards,

John