Running X in runlevel 3

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Jun 19 22:11:43 UTC 2007

Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On limited hardware that could be reason alone to use startx from 3.
>

> Does this really make a difference ? I accept it saves one login screen, but
> surely once you have logged on this screen is forgotten and your preferred
> session (KDE,gnome or whatever) is started.
>
> Your argument that it helps on low end machines only makes sense to me if the
> login screen is somehow 'remembered' after log on, so still using system
> resources. I really doubt this is the case in which case I doubt, once you
> have your desktop session running it really makes a difference whether you
> went via the standard login window (init 5 if you like) or startx from init
> 3?
I strongly recommend the "start in run level 3" approach to anyone
having trouble getting their video setup configured.  That way
ctrl-alt-backspace can kill the X session if the need arises and you
don't end up with X cycling until you reboot.  I got into the habit of
starting in run level 3 when I first tried Linux with Red Hat Linux
5.0.  I think my current installs to my laptop and workstation are the
first time I've ever left the graphical login in place.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce