On the subject of boot times.

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Jun 19 22:24:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:58:00 -0500
"John Pierce" <john.j35 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been looking into the boot times for my HP Pavilion DV9208NR
> and the fastest I have achieved is 1 minute 18 seconds.  A full 30
> seconds of that is starting redhat nash and udev.

I haven't put a stopwatch on it, but I'm pretty certain the nash
time increased dramatically between F6 and F7 on the box I have
here. Judging from some of the messages I see about "sdc" I suspect
one thing F7 is doing that F6 didn't do is wait for my external
USB disk to spin up from its power saver mode (which takes a while).

I have improved nash time dramatically on other machines by doing
things like eradicating all the raid related stuff from the init
script in the initrd. I hasten to add this was on a machine that
merely happened to have some Windows NT raid disks which I wasn't
planning on ever accessing from Linux, but nash insisted on wasting
all the time to identify the raid partitions anyway.