Brief diary of an F-7 installation

Alan M. Evans fedoralist at alanevans.org
Tue Jun 19 22:48:58 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 20:40 +0100, ne... wrote:
> For instance, why is it that when you choose KDE and not gnome,
> gnome-games is selected but not kdegames???

I must say, I found this statement pretty incredible. Being of GNOME
persuasion, I don't pay much attention generally to KDE issues. But just
to see, I created a quick VM and installed F7 from the DVD iso. I went
to Customize Now and checked KDE, unchecked GNOME. Wow:

        $ rpm -qa | grep "^gnome" | wc -l
        20
        $ rpm -qa | grep "^kde" | wc -l
        13

And sure enough, gnome-games is installed, kdegames is not. Amazingly,
among the installed packages are: gnome-desktop, gnome-panel,
gnome-media, gnome-menus, and gnome-themes. I wouldn't have expected
that at all!

For comparison, a relatively untouched fresh install with GNOME, not
KDE:

        $ rpm -qa | grep "^gnome" | wc -l
        44
        $ rpm -qa | grep "^kde" | wc -l