splitting off directories

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Wed Jun 20 09:24:10 UTC 2007

Around 03:05am on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 (UK time), Michael Klinosky scrawled:

> Hello.
> I'm about to install F7 on my main computer, and I'd like advice on what
> directories I should split off of / (i.e. put on its own partition).
>
> I already have /home split off, and I'd like to have the webbrowser
> cache split off too (makes backups quicker).
>
> I recenlty read that /usr could/should also be split off - opinions? I
> should note that I'm the only user, and I don't plan on adding much of
> anything (i.e. software). Would this make sense in my case?
>
> Any other suggestions?

I put /home, /var, /tmp and /boot all on their own partitions, so that
if any of the fill up it limits the problems that are likely to be
caused.

I also have some custom partitions for storing digital camera pics and
distro images on.  Keeping these separate makes it much easier when
installing a new version - I don't reformat these partitions.

And I also just ignore my browser cache in my regular backup job - no
need for it to be on a different partition.

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 10:18:12 up 3 days,  7:51,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00