splitting off directories

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 20 14:48:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 22:05 -0400, Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm about to install F7 on my main computer, and I'd like advice on what
> directories I should split off of / (i.e. put on its own partition).
>
> I already have /home split off, and I'd like to have the webbrowser
> cache split off too (makes backups quicker).
splitting these off does not make backups faster.

> I recenlty read that /usr could/should also be split off - opinions? I
> should note that I'm the only user, and I don't plan on adding much of
> anything (i.e. software). Would this make sense in my case?
>
> Any other suggestions?

We need to have at least one controversy every day so here is mine.
If you have a large server there are plenty of reasons to split oyur
distribution into several partitions. But for a single user machine it
is more trouble than its worth. I call the splitting the Sun Fallacy
which was started when disks were about 140 M in size and multiple disks
were needed for your system.

In your case putting it all in one partition is better.
Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everyone in good society holds
exactly the same opinion. -- Oscar Wilde
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net