Livna Nvidia with Kernel 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Jun 20 18:20:30 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 09:21:53AM +0100, ne... wrote:
> On 6/19/07, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> >On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 03:21:19PM -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> >> On 6/19/07, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> >

> >> I work for NVIDIA.
> >
> >That would help.
> >
> >> But even if I didn't the driver README documents which GPUs are
> >> supported in which releases.  The official driver installer would
> >> also refuse to install the driver if your GPU wasn't supported.
> >
> >Thank you. Since I was not aware that Nvidia has split their drivers,
> >I was still under the impression that the Nvidia driver supported all
> >Nvidia cards. So course it didn't occur to me to read the README to
> >check on this. But with RPMs, you don't get the README until after
> >you've installed the RPM, a nasty chicken and egg problem.
> [FC7]$ rpm -qip xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-100.14.09-1.lvn7.i386.rpm
> Name        : xorg-x11-drv-nvidia          Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 100.14.09                         Vendor: rpm.livna.org
> Release     : 1.lvn7                        Build Date: Sun 10 Jun
> 2007 05:12:40 PM BST
> Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host:
> plague-builder.livna.org
> Group       : User Interface/X Hardware Support   Source RPM:
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-100.14.09-1.lvn7.src.rpm
> Size        : 15526233                         License: Distributable
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 11 Jun 2007 05:24:04 PM BST, Key ID
> 71295441a109b1ec
> Packager    : rpm.livna.org <http://bugzilla.livna.org>
> URL         : http://www.nvidia.com/
> Summary     : NVIDIA's proprietary display driver for NVIDIA graphic cards
> Description :
> This package provides the most recent NVIDIA display driver which allows for
> hardware accelerated rendering with NVIDIA chipsets NV30 (FX series) and
> newer.
> NV30 and below (such as GeForce2) are NOT supported by this release.
>
> For the full product support list, please consult the release notes
> for driver version %{_version}.
>
> >From the above you can see what chipsets are supported without
> installed the rpm.

No, not quite. lspci tells me:

[root at phoenix ~]# lspci | grep -i '01:00.0'
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440] (rev a3)

Assuming that the NVxx numbers are ordinal, that tells me that it is
an NX17, which is less than NV30. However, it also tells me that the
card is a GeForce4, presumably greater than a GeForce2. So which is
it?

Part of the confusion stems from having multiple numbering sequences:
the NVxx, the GeForceX, and then the MX xxx series. Which one is
authoritative? The only thing that should be consistent across all
cards is the PCI card identifier, assuming that NVIDIA Corp. complies
with the relevant PCI standard.

Also, the description is badly written. It says that this package
supports "NV30 (FX series) and newer". It then goes on to say that
"NV30 and below (such as GeForce2) are NOT supported by this release."
So does this version support NV30 or not?

Finally, the good folks at Livna didn't mention any of this in their
writeup at http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/LivnaSwitcher, so I had no
reason to do an "rpm -qif" or even a "yum info" on them.

Where did you get those packages? They don't show up when I ran "yum
list \*nvidia\*".