F7 install puts no entries in /dev,/proc/ and /sys

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Wed Jun 20 21:48:56 UTC 2007

andy selby wrote:
>> /proc, /sys, and /dev aren't "REAL" filesystems. If the system isn't
>> running, they will be empty directories.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't have any advice about the panic. Can you post any
>> console output?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John
>>
> Sorry, I seem to remember fc4 installing "the commonly used entries in
> the /dev directory" .rpm
> I have read and acted upon the post "how to catch a kernel panic" but
> where is the log stored? I've gone through every file in /var/log,
> also there is no /var/log/bootlog
> (sdb is mounted on /1 so its actually /1/var/log/ from fc4's point of
> view if it makes a difference)
> below is /var/log/anaconda.syslog output
> <5>Linux version 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
> (kojibuilder at xenbuilder3.fedora.phx.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.1.2
> 20070502 (Red Hat 4.1.2-12)) #1 SMP Wed May 23 22:11:19 EDT 2007

You may need to replace the LABEL= entries in /etc/fstab for both FC4
and F7, and in the grub.conf, to point to the actual device.

What often happens in these types of set ups, is that the system may
boot the right kernel and then mount the wrong file system.
Not Good.

anaconda is somewhat notorious for mangling labels with /, /1, /2, etc.

General rule of thumb:
When dual (or more) booting like systems, force grub  and fstab to read
the specific device and not the LABEL.

Good Luck!