F7 Silly question about system-config-samba

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 07:32:31 UTC 2007

2007/6/21, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>:
> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 09:06 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:
> > And as I have a ; in front of workgroup line in samba.conf I am
> > surprised to share my shares from a Windows machine where workgroup is
> > the name of workgroup.
>
> Two things spring to mind:  What's the default workgroup named used if
> you don't specify one?  And, you can browse through different
> workgroups.
>
> --
> (This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case that's
>  important to the thread.)

> --

1) I suppose that the default workgroup in Samba is MYGROUP: am I wrong?

2) I doubt that from a Windows machine joining WORKGROUP as workgroup
you can jump in workgroups different from WORKGROUP. But I am not an
expert of workgroupping in Windows :-)

3) If I remove the ; from the workgroup line I can see the correct
name of workgroup and afterwards it may be changed (and change is
recorded in samba.conf)!!!
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag