FC5, Wine and NTFS

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Jun 21 12:17:32 UTC 2007

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Thursday June 21 2007 4:53:39 am Gary Stainburn wrote:
>> What I want to know is is it possible to use wine to run MS Word and Excel
>> from my NTFS formatted Win-XP. Ideally I'd like to be able to update
>> documents on the NTFS drive too, but that's not essential.
>
> If you're saying you want to be booted up in Linux, and be able to run the
> executables for Word and Excel that are installed on your WinXP partition,
> the answer is no. CXOffice which is the commercial version of Wine, runs $40
> for the basic edition, and does a very nice job of installing Office in
> Windows, however. If you must have Office running in Linux, I recommend you
> download their demo and check it out for yourself

I have a similar setup.  I use ntfs-3g to be able to read and write to
my NTFS drive, but instead of using MS office, I use Openoffice to read
and write my Word/Excel documents.  I've had very little trouble in the
way of import/formatting problems and most of those were easy to
rectify.  Maybe this will work for you.

--
Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico
fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support