adding a service to xinetd

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jun 21 14:37:11 UTC 2007

Don Russell wrote:
> Fedora 7
>
> I have a small telnet server listening on port 23, and want to run a
> second one on port 8023 (rather arbitrary) which I'll use for testing
> changes to the server app I wrote.
>
> The one on port 23 works properly but when I try to connect to the one
> on port 8023, I get an error: connection refused.
>
> I tried this from the command line: telnet localhost 8023
> and I get the 'connection refused' error.
>
> I added port 8023 using the"firewall settings"... but it still fails, I
> also restarted xinetd to pick up the additional server...
>
> SELinux is in permissive mode.
>
> I've obviously missed something.... but what?
>
> Thanks.

Did you check that the telnet daemon you are using will accept
connections on a port other then 23? Depending on the daemon used,
it may only accept port 23 connections unless it is in the debug mode.

You may also run into problems with /etc/services. From the
xinetd.conf man page:

port  determines the service port. If this attribute is specified
      for a service listed in /etc/services, it must be equal to
      the port number listed in that file.

Mikkel