OT: Apt-get vs YUM?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 17:38:39 UTC 2007

On 6/21/07, Chris <racerx at makeworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:07:38 +0100
> Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

> > > Check the FC6 archives the topic has been covered before or use
> > > Google search.
> >
> > I think when people say things like this
> > they should at least state what argument they gave to google,
> > or what FC6 archives they are talking about.
> >
> > If you cannot give reasonably precise information,
> > it is better to give none.

The subject has been covered after every Fedora release. Here are just
two threads:

http://marc.info/?l=fedora-list&m=117066503913525&w=2

http://lists.linuxcoding.com/rhl/2003/msg11333.html

> I tend to agree with you on this Tim. I left the BSD camps for just
> this same reason.
>
> Far too often users were willing to give this same information (albeit
> the answer itself would be correct IF the list(s) were geared towards
> advanced users).

"apt vs. yum vs. smart" is well beyond a newbie question since neither
apt nor smart are part of a default Fedora installation. A user has to
know enough to consider using either application.