OT: Apt-get vs YUM?

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu Jun 21 21:00:22 UTC 2007

On 2007-06-21, 12:31 GMT, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> * better handling of broken dependencies: apt-get dist-upgrade
> can automatically remove packages which have broken
> dependencies (of course it asks first!), and apt can also do
> a partial upgrade if some of the packages in the updates
> repository have broken dependencies. With yum, you'll have fun
> with manually removing packages in the first case and --exclude
> in the second.

Don't want to fight on any side of this perenial religious war,
but just to note that package-cleanup --problems (package-cleanup
is in yum-utils package) works pretty well for the first issue.
Not sure about the other one (I would try --disablerepo or
--exclude, or maybe that there is some plugin for that, don't
know).

Matej