Volume Control use

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Jun 22 12:04:45 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:
> on 6/21/2007 7:23 PM, Tim wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 12:59 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>>     If you have either F7 or F6 with all the updates you will have a
>>> Volume Control that is broken. When you click it up if your in the Alsa
>>> mixer mode you on the right side a Microphone listed on the Playback
>>> tab. This is wrong and if you look at the device below the Mike it shows
>>> a speaker!
>>>
>>>     To use this bad system first turn up the Master and Master Mono to
>>> the top and set Mike to the top. Now click File and select the TriTech
>>> OSS Mixer.
>>>
>> Firstly, that "TriTech" bit only refers to your hardware.  People with
>> different sound hardware will see something different.
>>
>> Second, make a damn bugzilla report.  We've all heard the same story
>> from you several times, this week.  We know about it by now, you're not
>> doing anything constructive about it.
>>

> Karl - Please read this and listen. I am not writing this to be mean or
> insulting in any way.
>
> I have had FC-3, FC-4, FC-5, FC6, and FC-7 all installed one after the
> other. At the same time I have always had rawhide (the development branch
> of Fedora) installed too.  And my mixers/volume controls have all worked
> just fine.
>
> So I really think that your problems are either your hardware or Pebkac.
> Really. And if I had to bet I would bet on Pebkac.

    Hi and first I have no idea what Pebkac is. I will try the man
pages. Second, the problem is NOT my hardware. This same hardware works
just fine if you don't upgrade the gstream software on FC6.

    Finally it is not just my problem. There have been many on this list
say they see the same thing on F7. What your complaining about was an
effort I made to tell those using the Volume Control how to do it. And
yes most people have just one sound card. That being said how I wonder
do you adjust the mike gain?

Karl