audio works on 64bit, not 32?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Jun 22 12:19:21 UTC 2007

I've got both 32 bit and 64 bit Fedora 7 installed (in different
partitions) on my system. I normally run 64 bit, but for a while
last night I was booted into the 32 bit partition and happened to
try running mplayer, and it generated lots of errors about ALSA
device not found and couldn't play audio.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Are there reasons audio might
not work on 32 bit, but work fine on 64? Or does mplayer or the ALSA
libs store some audio config info in my home directory that wouldn't
be correct when running 32 bit, and thus confuses it? Just curious
what might be going on (I don't run 32 bit very much, so it doesn't
matter a lot).

I'm pretty sure the installation time audio test that happens right at
the end of the install worked fine on both installs, so at some point
audio worked in 32 bit mode.