Volume Control use

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Sat Jun 23 00:54:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 16:16 -0700, David Boles wrote:
> on 6/22/2007 3:50 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > I know that.  It's still a bug, and your claim that Karl is
> > hallucinating is still incorrect.  And gnome-volume-manager is obviously
> > not gnome-volume-control (though Karl still seems confused on that
> > point).  There is no package called gnome-volume-control, but there is a
> > program called gnome-volume-control and it's in the package gnome-media.
> > And nothing in my message or the message I replied to made any reference
> > whatsoever to gnome-volume-manager.
>

> You are correct sir in all that you say. And as I have tried to explain to
> Karl I don't have the problem that you two have. Never have had it. Works
> today. I am checking and un-checking and moving the sliders as I type
> this, well when I stop typing this, and the music that is playing starts
> and stops and the volume rises and falls as I do.
>
> The last real problem I have had with Linux was getting a 'Zip Drive' to
> work. And that was a long, long time ago. Probably seven or eight years
> ago. Maybe I'm just lucky? Or don't have any strange hardware?

Or something.  So Karl and I have different hardware and similar
problems, but another machine I have at home with  FC6 and a SB Live!
shows a normal volume control.  I'm going to install F7 on that this
weekend, so we'll see.  And the latest incarnation of the volume control
on my laptop actually did let me set the mic level enough to be able to
Skype.

It's just kind of unhelpful to suggest (as you seemed to) that just
because you don't have the problem, it doesn't exist.  There are more
combinations of hardware and software and versions in heaven and earth
than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences