Where are the Fedora 7 CD ISOs

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Jun 23 06:15:59 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 02:09 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Additional variations of any sort in the releases have a cost
>> associated with it. There is additional testing or mirror space
>> they require for example. All the mirrors are voluntary and will
>> push back if you duplicate the same packages in several different
>> formats.
>
> So???  Make ISOs available, and those mirrors that want to can have
> them, those that don't can just use the DVDs.

That's one more thing that then needs to be kept track of by the
Fedora infrastructure team (so the question "why doesn't mirror x.y.z
not have the CD isos?" wouldn't have to be answered every other day).
There aren't enough volunteers as it is to run the systems and write
the code needed to create the distribution.

Also, the merge has made the entirety of Fedora grow significantly.
It will begin to push the default spin larger.  Soon it'd be 6 CDs,
then 7, and so on.  Sooner or later those multi CD sets were going to
go away, just as multiple floppy installs did years ago.

There are numerous ways for people to install without a DVD drive.  I
don't understand why it's such a big deal that there isn't a set of
CDs that someone can fiddle with at install time.  If there are that
many people that think it's important, it seems like more folks would
have created and helped host them.

I believe in the noble, aristocratic art of doing absolutely nothing.
And someday, I hope to be in a position where I can do even less.