HTML messages

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 23 06:20:36 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen:
>> I'm sorry Matthew Saltzman who is working on my Bug, and a guy who
>> signs as "Tim" are using HTML email which my Thunderbird will not
>> decode. This is because I have selected a big font which is easy for my
>> old eyes to see. I can read all straight ascii of tiny font because my
>> system blows it up to normal size.
>>
>> Just to see I printed Matt's email but it still comes out as garbage.

View the source, don't go by a print test.  There's other things that
can mangle content.

Matthew Saltzman:
> Damn, am I really sending HTML?  (Obviously, somebody other than Karl
> will have to answer, if I am.)

No, you're not (well, not that I've seen, now or before).  And neither
am I.  Luckily it's not a default option in Evolution, and it's
something I turn off when configuring any other mail clients, straight
after I install them.

If Karl gets his mail through a proxy, that might be the reason.  I
don't think this list offers an option to convert plain text to HTML, as
some do, so I don't think the list could be the cause.

I have noticed that Thunderbird treats all mail as HTML, and that's just
one reason I don't use it.  It never shows mail as it is, it always
converts it to it's own system.  That's why the > quote indicators
appear differently than as the message sent them, text smileys get
turned into graphics (optionally, thankfully), and things like
source-code pastings can get mangled.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & CentOS 5.0, in
 case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.