Livna nVidia problems...

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 23 07:11:55 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> I seemed to have that problem, despite having a GeForce4 card that was
>> supposedly covered by the non-legacy driver.  Though I've read
>> conflicting information about that.
>>
>> Is the legacy driver also supposed to support 3D acceleration?  I got
>> nowhere trying it.

Lonni J Friedman:
> All nvidia drivers have acclerated 3D support.

Good to know.

> I'm not sure what you read, but the driver README is quite clear in
> what is supported.

The conflicting information was about whether to use legacy, or not, for
the card I was using.  I'd looked up card names and chipset names, and
found it listed in two conflicting places.  That was on the nvidia
website, by the way.

'tis an Asus V8420/128M Rev 101 NVidia NV25 GeForce4 Ti 4200 rev a3
card.  If anyone knows how to make it work with FC7, I'd like to hear
about it.  We had it working fine on FC5, long ago.

Additionally, information on making it run the monitor at the rates that
I know it can run at, rather than Xorg thinks it can manage, are welcome
(Compaq V75).  I get variable results at configuring resolutions.

Compaq V75 monitor (according to the HP site)
------------------
Scanning frequencies:
Horizontal scan range 30-70 KHz
Vertical scan range 50-160 Hz

Maximum resolution (H x V):
1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Recommended resolution (H x V):
1024 x 768 @ 85 Hz

It does work well at the maximum resolution, when X will let it.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & CentOS 5.0, in
 case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.