Formatting CDs

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 23 13:38:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 17:10 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >>
> > If you think it can be done give the command line to do it. For some
> > reason people seem to have forgotten how a formatted floppy works.
>
> They've forgotten because floppies were too small and slow to be useful.
>   The modern replacement is the USB flash drives that you are starting
> to see along with gum and mints at the grocery store checkout in gig+ sizes.
>
> You should be able to erase a cdrw with cdrecord blank=all or a dvd+rw
> with cdrecord -format, but k3b should detect the need and do it
> automatically if necessary.
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com
I will say this one more time then I will drop the subject. floppies ,
gum and mints cost about the same price. Flash Drives do not. It is easy
to have a few floppies to carry small files for backup. I must have
about 25 of them. I have no intention of buying 25 flash drives. The
smallness and cheapness of floppies is the good thing about them.

And no lets say it all together:"blanking and formatting are not the
same thing"

Anyone else is free to ignore floppies. I find them very useful.
Aaron Konstam tel: (210) 656-0355 akonstam at sbcglobal.net