Why are some having so much trouble with F7?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat Jun 23 13:58:54 UTC 2007

Eric I would like to echo your sentiments;

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 08:37 -0400, Eric wrote:
> I've been lurking and occasionally posting here since F7 came out, and it
> has got me to wondering... Why are some people having so much trouble with F7?

[snip]

> For me, F7 is working great!  Way to go, F7 team!  Ya done good.  :-)

I had a few problems, but they were stupidity gaffs of mine; not Fedora
7's.

For those, I have a suggestion or two for making the installation guide
a bit clearer.

Switching to defencive mode, I would like to remind the guide writers
that doing a new install is a nerve wracking moment when simple seldom
used procedures are forgotten and when one does NOT want to climb a new
learning curve.

1) I wanted to install using the rescue.iso from a secondary hard disk
where I had downloaded the DVD.iso.  The partition on which I had stored
the DVD.iso was my backup partition labelled 'backup', naturally enough,
and normally mounted on '/'.  Within 'backup' I had created a folder
called 'Moonshine" to hold the F-7 *.iso files. The device name
was /dev/sda5.

I kept trying to start the install from 'backup' instead of Moonshine
when I had already told anaconda the device to look for was /dev/sda5.
That is, /dev/sda5 and 'backup' are the same place.  I know better.
Maybe newbies wouldn't.

Maybe it was nervousness brought on by several FC3 installation crashes
that I managed to create a couple of years ago.  It would have been nice
to be reminded in the guide somewhere that my partition name equals my
device name.

2) The second problem I had was that nautilus would not burn my rescue
disk.  I fiddled with cdrecord; read, I think the longest and most
obtuse 'man' ever created and finally gave up and installed Xcdroast in
my FC6 so I could burn the rescue disk.  It would have been nice to have
the exact cdrecord command-line command handy in an easy to find place
in the Installation guide in case of nautilus failure.

As you can see, any problems I have had (and they were few) were
self-imposed.  I wonder how many other people are engaged in too much
double think, not expecting things to be so simple, creating their own
problems rather than just sitting back and letting F-7 do the
installation for them.

I agree with Eric, F-7 is a lovely new version.

--
Regards Bill